“A Blow for Peace” is an unusual and attractive recording. As the name suggests, it features a wind instrument that is well known but is seldom recorded, and it also features two music makers not often heard on recordings.
For one of them, the new recording is a first, while the other is among the top traditional musicians in the country, and has for decades been winning All Ireland titles – and won another senior title at Fleadh Ceoil na hEireann 2003.
For decades, Davy Hynes from Mullingar has been an admirer of the musical skills of longtime friend and neighbour, Noel Battle. When the idea of “A Blow for Peace” – featuring traditional and Christian music first suggested itself, through Davy’s own interest in the diatonic harmonica, he persuaded Noel to contribute his exceptional traditional music skills on the tremelo harmonica (mouth organ).
Thirteen tracks were laid down with professional recording help from another friend and noted musician, Vinny Baker, who lives just outside Mullingar, and that fine professional guitarist Joe Meehan. Joe is a keen Irish music fan and one of the most attractive tracks on the new recording is the traditional slow air, “Blind Mary” featuring Noel Battle, with Joe providing the backing. We think you’ll Like it.
1. Ar Eireann Ni n-Eosfainn Ce Hi – Dave
2. Morning Has Broken with Prayer – Dave
3. Vincent Broderick’s (Reels) – Noel
4. Lonesome Boatman – Dave and Vincent
5. Maggie Brown – Noel
6. Amazing Grace, Serenity Prayer – Dave
7. Bride’s Favourite Sel. (Jigs) – Noel
8. Shenandoagh – Dave
9. Water is Wide with Footsteps Prayer – Dave
10. Stack of Barley (Hornpipe) – Noel
11. Carrickfergus (Air) – Dave
12. Blind Mary (Slow Air) – Noel and Joe
13. Summertime – Dave and Vincent